New York Employment Lawyers With 25 Years of Experience Representing Victims of Sexual Harassment and Unequal Treatment in the Workplace.
Employment Attorneys Marc Rapaport and Meredith Miller Have the Commitment, Experience and Knowledge You Need
Regardless of your gender, sexual orientation or type of work you do, you are entitled to a workplace that is free from sexual harassment and gender-based discrimination. If you are being sexually harassed or experiencing unequal treatment because of your gender, sexual orientation or identity, you need New York employment attorneys with the knowledge, compassion and experience to guide you.
Sex discrimination rears its ugly head in many different forms. Some employees suffer offensive comments or inappropriate language that interferes with their ability to work. In other instances, salaries and opportunities for promotion are unequal and unfair.
If you are experiencing sexual harassment or gender-related disrespect on the job, you should not go through this alone. It is important to hire a New York employment discrimination lawyer with experience handling workplace issues involving sexual harassment and other forms of sex and gender discrimination. We have provided counsel for employees in New York since 1995.
The New York City Human Rights Law provides employees with the strongest protections against sexual harassment and gender-related unequal treatment anywhere.
HERE ARE A FEW EXAMPLES OF NEW YORK’S UNIQUELY EMPLOYEE-FRIENDLY ANTI-DISCRIMINATION AND SEXUAL HARASSMENT PROTECTIONS
- EMPLOYERS MUST CONDUCT SEXUAL HARASSMENT PREVENTION TRAINING: Under Local Law 96 of 2018, employers with 15 or more employees are required to conduct annual sexual harassment prevention training for all employees annually.
- NO “SEVERE OR PERVASIVE” STANDARD. Under the NYC Human Rights Law, victims of gender discrimination can assert legal claims against their employers for sex discrimination without any requirement that the conduct is severe or pervasive. You have a valid discrimination claim if you are “treated less well than other employees because of  gender.” You need only show that you experienced conduct that involved more than “petty slights or trivial inconveniences.” Williams v. N.Y.C. Hous. Auth., 61 A.D.3d 62, 78, 872 N.Y.S.2d 27 (1st Dep’t 2009).
- ANTI-DISCRIMINATION PROTECTIONS FOR INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS. Freelancers and independent contractors in New York City now have the same protections against discrimination, harassment and retaliation under the NYCHRL as employees, including the right to file legal claims and receive monetary damages in court.
- YOUR RIGHT TO USE PRONOUNCES AND NAMES OF YOUR CHOICE. Under New York City law, employees must be allowed to use a preferred name, pronoun (including gender neutral pronouns) or title, regardless of the employee’s actual name, sex at birth, gender or appearance.
- NO GENDER-RELATED DRESS CODES. Employers are not allowed to impose differing dress codes or grooming standards based on gender.
- UNEQUAL BENEFITS ARE PROHIBITED. Employers are not allowed to provide differing health benefits or other benefits or services based on gender.
- RIGHT TO SEEK PUNITIVE DAMAGES. All plaintiffs are allowed to seek punitive damages, in addition to compensatory damages, as remedies for discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims.
SOME EXAMPLES OF UNLAWFUL SEXUAL HARASSMENT
- Displaying explicit, offensive or pornographic images
- Unwelcome Advances
- Vulgar Language/Explicit or Offensive Jokes
- Remarking on another’s sexual attractiveness
- Unwanted touching
- Suggesting that an employee was promoted for engaging in sexual activities
- Bragging about sexual attributes or prowess
The Rapaport Employment Law Firm is located at the crossroads of Greenwich Village and Chelsea at 80 Eighth Avenue. We are available to meet with you, in person, to consult with you about your potential case.